Saturday 26 September 2015

Bowie depression...

It's official, I am depressed. The latest reissue from Bowie has finally landed and I can't really justify forking out £185 for it. I've had to content myself with listening to all of my Bowie albums on an almost constant cycle over the past 3 days.

I think therefor it's only right that I provide my top 5 Bowie albums...

5 - 'The Next Day'
When I first heard this a few years ago I wasn't convinced - now I am. There's a real energy and anger breaking through on some of these tracks. 'Where are we now' is a beautiful reflective song and the title track and vale times day are full of vitriol. I love it!

4 - 'Aladdin Sane'
Not one of Bowies easiest albums to listen to but I'm a fan none the less. The title tracks bizarre piano solo is tweaking at the insane but the album is a quality offering overall. The 4 singles from the album are great with my favourite being drive in Saturday.

3 - 'Hunky Dory'
A huge selection of great songs again with the obvious highlight being 'life on Mars' - probably by favourite Bowie song bar none. The album is less coherent than his next offering (which tops my list) and has a few low points. Lots of highs though - this one gets spun a lot...

2 - 'Lets Dance'
Again there are more than enough hit singles on this album - side A contains some crackers in the form of 'modern love, let's dance and china girl... Is there a better A side out there? The production is great and Nile Rogers brings a lot to the table with this album.

1 - 'The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars'
Is there a bad track on this whole album? I think not. From the first track to the last the quality is undeniable, I love every single minute of this album. Highlights for me include the emotion of 5 years, the proggy guitar solo in moonage daydream not forgetting the big hits on the album.

There an honourable mention here for '1966' a collection of Bowies pre RCA songs that was re-pressed for record store day last year. This list is by no means exhaustive and all of my Bowie LPs get regular spin time.



No comments:

Post a Comment