Sunday 20 September 2015

Almost 2 years since my last confession....

Good evening,

It is no coincidence that 2 years have passed since my last blog entry and my youngest daughter will be turning two years old in 3 days time. Those children do take up a lot of time and space don't they.

Rest assured my collection has grown constantly and I have added some absolute gems to my collection.

I have also started a youtube channel with the aim of uploading a brief (5-10 minutes) album review of some of my favourite albums as well as some that are a little harder to find. I have recorded three of these reviews and they can be found on my channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDGO7t_V5kuGnyQ7hmf_pJg

recent additions (this week) to my collections are:


  1. Oscar Peterson - West Side Story. Lovely old verve pressing - a bit tatty but plays great. Classic Peterson trio playing very good arrangements of the Bernstein tunes.
  2. Shorty Rogers - Plays Richard Rogers. East coast big band jazz, original 1957 pressing sounds great. Big sound and obvious harmonies but a great listen none the less - the cover is brilliant as well.
  3. Frank Sinatra - Sings Cole Porter. Capitol pressing with flip back sleeves, not yet listened to but the track listing is great and the vinyl looks clean and tidy.
  4. Stan Getz - Captain Marvel. This has been played - post drug addiction Getz with a tidy trio, crazy solos and interesting compositions. Really enjoyed this but will have to give it another listen carefully soon.
  5. Ben Webster - Saturday Night at the Montmartre. The opposite of the Stan Getz, relaxed, mellow, lyrical phrasing (typical Webster) on a label called 'Black Lion' which I've never heard of. Excellent breakfast record.
  6. Chet Baker - The touch of your lips. Later Chet Baker with a trio, as you'd expect a high quality delivery but Chet sounds tired in the vocal numbers
  7. Ella Fitzgerald - Rogers and Hart songbook. Not yet played. This is a cheap 1 disk mfp pressing (not an original verve) but none the less contains tracks I'm yet to own.
  8. Herb Albert - Under a Spanish moon. Unplayed, in mint condition with some interesting personnel - will spin soon and report back
In total I paid £15 for all of the above - very pleased with myself and enough listening to keep myself occupied for a good long while.

Other recent additions include a green copy of 'super ape' by Lee Scratch Perry which I'm rather fond of and will be getting a review video at some point.

Thanks for reading and I promise to blog a little more regularly from here on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment